Tuesday, June 2, 2015

6/2/15
Giornale 2

            For my second solo excursion I’ve decided to join Franchesca and Glenibel to go to the Capuchin Crypt near the Barberini metro stop. Since we just had finish eating lunch and were fully rested we decided to go straight to the crypt. As we got out of the train station the sun was beaming hot. I was wishing I could wear shorts that day, but since we were going to the crypt my only choice was to wear jeans. When we arrived to the Capuchin Crypt I realized that I had to go through the museum before I can even get to see all the bones. I was hoping to see the bones first, but a little learning couldn’t hurt I guess. The first thing I see when I step into the museum is a couple of books being preserved behind a glass case. One of the books was bigger than the rest, that book was actually the old testament of the bible. I walked into a room that explained the history of the order of these specific friars. The Capuchin order was established in 1520, but soon after anyone following the order was forced into hiding by church authorities. They were late allowed to come out of hiding thanks to Pope Clement VII in 1528. Matteo Bassi is apparently the founder of the order, but the order was inspired by the life teachings of Saint Francis. The Capuchins can usually be found helping the sick in hospitals or teaching and helping the condemned in prisons. As I walk further into the museum I begin to see different relics from the past such as pots and more preserved books. I end up finding myself in front of a statue of a bloody Jesus Christ with a crown of thorns on his head. I start seeing more interpretations of Jesus Christ and think to myself that most of these look more demonic than holy. These friars started to become more gothic in my eyes than just holy, but what could I expect when they have a several chapels decorated with bones under the main church that’s also above the museum. Before I finally entered the crypt I stopped and looked at a wall which contained a map of how many Capuchin friars and monasteries are there in different countries all over the world. There are thousands friars and hundreds of monasteries back in the United States and obviously in Italy. I was really surprise by how strong their presence is around the world. When I entered the crypt I was amazed by how many skeletal remains there were all around the vicinity. The first chapel contained the tombs of previous friars while still being surrounded by the remains of other friars. When you get into the middle of the crypt there are no bones at all in the room. The room is actually the Mass Chapel which was used to celebrate mass. This room contains the actually heart of heart of Maria Felice Peretti, the grand-niece of Pope Sixtus V and a supporter of the Capuchin order. After leaving the crypt I decided to go upstairs to the main church to see how it was. It was beautiful, but I was disappointed to see no bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment