Friday, June 5, 2015

6/5/15
Envoi

            The past 19 days have been the most exciting and fun filled days I have had in a long time. The experiences that I received in Rome are unlike any other. I believe that my time in Rome would not have been a great as it was if it were not for the Reading in Rome class that I had back in Skidmore College. I say that because if it was not for that specific class I would have been walking around Rome looking at ancient architectural structures and not knowing what they were, what their purpose was and how significant were they in back ancient Rome. I not only got to see the usual tourist attraction of visiting the Coliseum and the Vatican, but I got to go see other unique places that I would have never seen if I went on my own. I would not have visited locations like Tiber Island, Campo de’ Fiori, Piazza del Popolo, and the Mausoleum of Augustus. Not only was I able to go to Rome, but I was able to put the teachings from the class to actual use in my real world experiences in the city of Rome. Not only did I get a chance to get to know the city of Rome more closely, but I also got to know my classmates more and got to be much closer with them than I ever imagined I would be. Prior to this trip the only individuals who I really knew in the class were Franchesca and Glenibel. I at first didn’t really pay to mind the other students who were in the class. My mindset was to just go to class and then go straight out to whatever was next on my schedule. Tis trip allowed me to see my classmates in a different light. It was surprising to see how each of them acted outside of the classroom, which was very entertaining to me. I appreciate the fact that I got to know them a lot better. I now know that in the upcoming semester I will not only be going back to Skidmore College and going back to my usual friends, but I will be going back to a couple of new friends as well. Even though we had to wake up early in the morning I would not change anything about it because it allowed me to see more of Rome and enjoy the student presentations. The presentations were extremely beneficial because I was able to learn more about different structures and locations that have to deal with ancient Rome and like other tourists I would have probably just casually walked by them otherwise. The student presentations also led me to have a personal bond with Tiber Island since it was my presentation site. I went to Tiber Island more than any other location in Rome just so I can practice what I was going to say when my day came up. Even though I was a nervous wreck during my presentation I still got to appreciate the beauty that is Tiber Island. In a way I obtained a bond with the island and got to personally appreciate the historical significance of the site and enjoyed researching as much as I did about it. With that being said that is not what only contributed to my joyful experience in Rome. I’m actually surprised to say that having to do the Giornali was very influential to my time in Rome due to the fact that I had to go without my professors to certain locations and learn about them on my own. One particular location that I enjoyed visiting as part of my solo excursion was the Capuchin Crypt. The main reason I went to visit the crypt was just to see the chapels made out of bones, I didn’t expect to gain so much information about the friars and how till this day they still help out the sick and the condemned. I have even taken some time out since I’ve been back to look up more information about the Capuchin friars. I got to experience so much in Rome and that even includes the night life. Experiencing the nightlife in Rome led me to witness the fact that American music has a strong presence to the night life and so does Hispanic music such as reggaeton. To see that even today just as Ancient Rome had outside influences such as the Egyptians and the Greeks, modern Rome is still being influenced from other countries. Rome was such a wonderful experience for me. I’m so fortunate to have this adventure be my first outside the United States and have spent it with wonderful individuals from my class and with two amazing professors. There is absolutely nothing I would change from the class to the trip abroad, except for the times that I was feeling under the weather because it took away time from me to experience more of Rome. For two and a half weeks I got to have Rome as my ancient backyard and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment